CNN Shutters Beme After 14 Months

As major news outlets begin to realize that daily consumption from younger demographics is key to their survival, it is nearly impossible for them to get the consumption numbers from places like Buzzfeed. When CNN bought Casey Neistat’s Beme in late of 2016, there were hopes that he could find a way to get their news appealing to that key demographic. Unfortunately, that didn’t work out so well for them.

CNN announced on Thursday that they are shutting down the company. Neistat was unable to figure out a viable strategy due to creative differences and sluggish progress. He is parting ways with CNN.

“I couldn’t find answers. I would sort of disappear, and I would hide, and I would make YouTube videos for my channel because at least I would be able yield something,” Neistat told Buzzfeed News. “I don’t think I’m giving CNN what I want to give them, and I don’t think they’re getting value from me.” When CNN bought Beme, it said Neistat’s company would focus on “timely and topical video and empowering content creators to use technology to find their voice.”

Back in the early eighties, CNN was the company that sparked 27/7 journalism. However, in recent years, they were hurting by the rise of Fox News and online competition. CNN has been trying over the last few years to stick with their old school traditions. However, with the election of Donald Trump, they have jumped on the bandwagon of gossip news without the journalism.

CNN suffered another blow late last year by cutting ties with their SnapChat show that only lasted four months. This goes into a finer point of old-school television news trying to get into a new media landscape. The drawback is that big business doesn’t allow content creators grow and find their footing. If results aren’t immediate, they are cancelled without a second thought. It reminds me of the time when Fox purchased Facebook. That worked out well, didn’t it?