It is kind of hard to believe that it has been 25 years since Harley Quinn was introduced to Batman fans and become a cultural icon. Many people don’t remember that she was never created in the comics by on the Batman: The Animated Series in the episode “Joker’s Favor.” DC Comics is going to take full advantage of the anniversary with a Harley Quinn 25th Anniversary Special.
Creators contributing to the one-shot include the longtime creative team of the current Harley Quinn ongoing series, co-writers Amanda Conner and Jimmy Palmiotti and artist Chad Hardin, plus Harley Quinn co-creator Paul Dini (the writer of “Joker’s Favor,” who has recently been co-writing back-up stories in the Harley Quinn ongoing) and a story from Chip Zdarsky & Joe Quinones, who collaborated on Marvel’s tonally similar Howard the Duck. This marks Zdarsky’s first work for DC Comics.
Jim Lee will illustrate a variant cover that will feature Harley in her Suicide Squad film attire as will Harley Quinn co-creator Bruce Timm.
“Jimmy and Amanda have come up with a great version of Harley that keeps her relevant for today’s readership,” Dini told CBR earlier this month of DC’s recent Harley Quinn stories. “It keeps her fun. It keeps her funny. It’s always true to the character, and it’s always new. I really enjoy being surprised with everyone else each issue to see what they are coming up with.”
You can check out Jim Lee’s variant below:
HARLEY QUINN 25TH ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL #1
- Written by AMANDA CONNER, JIMMY PALMIOTTI, PAUL DINI and CHIP ZDARSKY
- Art by AMANDA CONNER, CHAD HARDIN, JOE QUINONES and others
- Cover by AMANDA CONNER
- Variant covers by JIM LEE and BRUCE TIMM
- Celebrate twenty-five years of Harley Quinn with this collection of stories by some legendary Harley talent and some who’ve never drawn her before! How does Harley manage her insanely jam-packed life on Coney Island? What haven’t we seen from her past with the Joker? And can even Harley’s psychological acumen crack the twisted mind of…Robin, the Boy Wonder?
- One-shot • On sale SEPTEMBER 6 • 48 pg, FC, $4.99 US • RATED T+